1. I leave for the States in less than 3 weeks. Thumper is due 6 weeks after that.
2. Less than 9 weeks until we get to meet him, I remember when he was only 9 weeks along and this moment seemed like an eternity away.
3. I emailed the man who will be Thumper’s pediatrician in Green Bay today. Talk about a wake up call. I don’t generally feel very “mommy” yet but figuring out our kid’s first well check ups sure drives the point home.
4. Did I mention that we painted Thumper’s room and bought some Ikea curtains? The walls are now a very light blue with a touch of aqua-think almost a Tiffany’s blue. The curtains are a dark blue with a hint of teal to the color.
There is a checkered Tibetan rug on the floor that we’ve had for forever and a great Air India vintage print on the wall that Chris’ sister gave us as a wedding gift. Chris is hoping to find some Tibetan prayer flags to hang over the 8 sided mirror that used to hang in our bedroom and now hangs on the baby room wall.
The effect is a little exotic but bright and airy, the way a baby’s room should be. I can’t help smiling every time I walk in the room. Even though we originally said it would be a waste to spend any money on a nursery, I can honestly say that the $80 or so that we spent on the paint and curtains was so, so worth it. It makes it feel like we’re bringing Thumper back to a real home rather than just a temporary place to stay before we’re off to our next post. It also just feels good to do something for our baby rather than just order him crib sheets online and wonder about diaper changes.
5. Have I mentioned the prodigious kicker we have on our hands? He’s starting to get a bit cramped in his space now I think and so I constantly feel his little bum bulging out or his little feet and hands pushing out under my ribs. My favorite thing is that he’s started kicking hard enough that Chris doesn’t even have to put his hand on my stomach to feel him. If he’s lying close enough next to me, he gets kicked too!
6. I went through a phase a few weeks ago where I became slightly irrationally paranoid that Thumper would come early and we’d have none of the stuff we need ready for him. I also became somewhat obsessed with having a small amount of supplies all washed and ready to go here in Chengdu so that when we return jet lagged and sleep deprived we don’t have to scramble around at 2am looking for a clean onesie or diaper.
Which is to say that, besides buying the carseat, nursing stuff, a diaper bag/purse, first aid-ish supplies, and a big diaper order, we are pretty much done buying all of our baby stuff. One huge benefit to online shopping is that it makes me shop a lot smarter. For Thumper we pretty much stuck to our minimalist baby supply list and read tons of reviews on everything from his cloth diaper inserts to the mattress pad.
The end result so far: Stuff we really like so far and not too much of it. Plus, we’re still below our baby budget so have room to splurge on a few fun things once we get to the States or run out for anything that we may have originally passed on but end up wanting after Thumper gets here.
7. On the 3rd Trimester-so far this is my favorite part of the pregnancy. Yes I’m more uncomfortable than ever, but I’m also loving how much more connected I’m feeling to this baby now that he’s very conspicuously rumbling around in there all day and night.
And hello nesting!! Our house has never been so clean nor have we ever had such a well-stocked freezer full of homemade meals, breads, stocks, and sweets. I thought I had a “lazy” day last weekend until I went to bed and realized I had still managed to make a loaf of bread from scratch, make a batch of yogurt, do laundry, iron curtains, and spend 5 hours working on a small anniversary surprise for Chris. Even though I always fall into bed exhausted every night, I can’t tell you how nice it is to feel so insanely productive again, especially after my comatose 1st trimester.
8. Random other pregnancy things:
-Getting up to pee 4x a night will hopefully be excellent practice for getting up all all hours with Thumper in T-2 months
-I wake up ferociously hungry at 6:30am every. single. morning. Sucks for sleeping in but, on the plus side, by the time Chris wakes up on the weekends, I’m usually pulling a fresh batch of muffins or a loaf of bread out of the oven.
-I don’t feel too huge yet, I still feel pretty nimble but I am totally over shoes with laces. Worst concept ever. Also, all of my maternity tank tops are starting to ride up over my beach ball belly. What gives?
-I’ve been horrendous about working out, like the worst I’ve ever been in my whole life. I do maybe one or two short real workouts a week, otherwise I rely on kneading bread for my arms workout and long walks for groceries and running around the house nesting like a maniac for my “cardio.” Isn’t that awful? I’m hoping I’ll at least do a little more after I head back to the States and have clean air to go for long walks in everyday.
-If I could go to work in sweatpants everyday now, I totally would.