So a lack of internet at home means this post will be sans-pictures. Also means the posting might be light for awhile. But until I can get back on a regular schedule here are some highlights from the first 2.5 days in Chengdu:
*Chengdu has lots of little parks, with playground equipment…for grown ups. I’m seriously in heaven. It’s like a dream come true
*One of our next door neighbors is a gregarious 2 year old who rocks my world. I’m pretty sure we are going to be BFF.
* There’s a little steamed bun stand on the way to the consulate that I made Chris try with me this morning. For 1 kuai we got 2 buns full of deliciousness. I have no idea what was in there but whatever it was, it was fabu.
* Bird songs seem prettier here, dont’ know why but they do.
* We have a yummy dumpling place around the corner from us. Very tasty.
* My Chinese is awful but people here have so far been very nice and patient with me, its very encouraging. Interestingly, I seem to have the best time when I’m ordering food. I think that should be telling me something.
* Thank goodness for the iphone app Qingwen. Seriously, if you are learning Chinese or moving to China, buy it now. Our phones don’t work here but I can still use that program to look up characters that I see when I am out and about
* Speaking of characters, I really need to learn how to read.
* Everyone at the consulate is super nice and friendly. Today I’m going to yoga class at the consulate. I’m pysched
*Chengdu has a Carrefour and an IKEA. I’m still sort of shocked. Making comparisons between Chengdu and the Indian cities I”ve been in is just really not possible yet.
*The movie store next to our house is selling the Pacific HBO miniseries. The series isn’t over yet in the States. This is awesome. I have a feeling I’m going to become a movie buff here if only because I’ll be able to buy them before anyone else in the States!
Ok so that’s all I have for now. More later when I’m back in internet!